Conservatory Glazing Options
Bringing The Outside In
A conservatory is more than just an extension to your home. It can be somewhere to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the garden no matter what the weather is doing, a place to entertain or much needed extra space for the children to play. But whatever your reason for adding a conservatory to your home, it is a significant investment, and choosing the right glass will only add to its value.
The main product we recommend for vertical glazing is Pilkington toughened sealed units.
There are 3 main product items we recommend for roof glazing:
- Clear toughened Pilkington Glass sealed units
- Clear Pilkington 'K' GlassTM units
- Clear Pilkington ActivTM Glass sealed units
Note: All roof glass is toughened.
Pilkington 'K' GlassTM units
When it comes to conservatories, we think you should be able to enjoy yours, comfortably, all year round. That's why we suggest choosing an insulating glass unit that combines Pilkington ActivTM Blue or Pilkington ActivTM Neutral with a low E glass such as Pilkington 'K' GlassTM. That way, dual solar control and thermal insulation can help your conservatory maintain a comfortable temperature throughout the year.
Thermal Insulation - Keeping the heat in
Pilkington 'K' GlassTM, which usually forms the inner pane of a double-glazing unit, has a special low emissivity coating to help reduce the amount of heat that escapes through your windows. This is particularly important for conservatories in winter, when it can be difficult to maintain a comfortable temperature. The special energy-saving coating on Pilkington 'K' GlassTM lets the sun's rays through, but reflects heat from fires and radiators back into your home, saving energy and reducing your bills.
Benefits of thermal insulation
- Low E glass makes double glazed insulating glass units as effective as triple glazing
- Allows you to increase the glazed area of a building without increasing heat loss
- Allows you to stay comfortable whilst using less energy
- Reduces unsightly internal condensation
- Helps to save energy, reducing heat loss by upto 45%
Pilkington ActivTM Glass
Self Cleaning clear and blue glass - a world first from Pilkington
Pilkington ActivTM is the world&sjquote;s first self-cleaning glass. It's basically the same as conventional glass, except for a unique dual coating. It works in two ways; first it uses daylight to break down organic dirt (such as bird droppings) and then it uses rain to wash the dirt away.
Pilkington ActivTM also dries off faster leaving the glass clean and and with reduced streaks, which gives you beautifully clear views and makes it ideal for all the windows in the conservatory.
Pilkington ActivTM Blue and Pilkington ActivTM Neutral combine the benefits of self-cleaning with solar control and performance, making them the perfect choice for hard to reach places that are difficult to clean, which also require solar control such as conservatory roofs.
Will my windows ever need cleaning?
We cannot say that your windows will never need cleaning - that depends on the amount of dirt and the amount of rain the glass in your windows receives. We can say that Pilkington ActivTM reduces the amount of maintenance required. IF cleaning is necessary - such as during long dry spells or if your windows are heavily soiled - it will be much less frequent and much easier than conventional glass, either by gentle hosing to replicate rainfall or using a soft cloth and warm soapy water.
Solar ControlSolar control - reducing the sun's heat
Pilkington ActivTM Blue and Pilkington ActivTM Neutral combine the revolutionary benefits of a self-cleaning coating with solar control and good light transmission.
In summer months, glass with solar control can help prevent heat build up by significantly reducing the amount of heat allowed to pass into your conservatory.
Benefits of Pilkington ActivTM Blue and Pilkington ActivTM Neutral
- Combines solar control and self-cleaning properties
- Helps reduce heat build up - further ventilation may also be required
- Its self-cleaning properties work on cloudy days and during the night
- Easily cleaned during dry spells by hosing down
- Self-clean coating lasts the lifetime of the glazing
- Offers excellent aesthetics
- It allows good light transmittance
- Using all Pilkington ActivTM products helps reduce the appearance of external condensation